Friday, October 23, 2009

Soupy Sales: 1926-2009

I was in Detroit on business and went to a restaurant for lunch. As I exited the men's room, I happened upon a slow moving old Jewish guy on his way in. I said, 'hello Mr. Sales!', whereupon he looked up at me through thick glasses and said with a perplexed view, 'do I know you?'. I said no, but that I was a big fan from way back. He got a big smile and said, 'are you sure that I don't know you, because you look familiar'. Before he continued on, he asked if I was enjoying my meal, and said that if I needed anything to let him know. I thanked him, we shook hands and parted company. Back at the table my Detroit host informed me that Soupy owned the place. From my experience, a nice guy, even without a pie in the face.

James C. Collier

READ MOST RECENT POSTS AT ACTING WHITE...

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is indeed a tragedy that the pre-Soupy Detroit gave way so immediately to the post-Soupy Detroit. I wonder, what caused that to happen?