Wednesday, August 22, 2007
First, the bad news…
ACS publication Cancer Facts & Figures for African Americans 2007-2008.
• Prostate cancer is 2.4 times more deadly for black men than for white men.
• Breast cancer is 1.4 times more deadly for black women than for white women.
• Colon cancer and breast cancer rates are declining more slowly for blacks than for whites.
• By the time black Americans find out they have cancer, their cancer is at a later stage than for newly diagnosed white Americans. There are fewer treatment options for later-stage cancer.
• For all major cancers, black Americans are less likely than whites to survive five years after diagnosis -- even when their cancers are diagnosed at the same stage.
Now, the good news…
“Study Shines More Light on Benefit of Vitamin D in Fighting Cancer"
Researchers at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego, conducting a first-of-its-kind meta-analysis study, estimate that 250,000 cases of colorectal cancer and 350,000 cases of breast cancer could be prevented worldwide by increasing vitamin D, especially in locations north of the equator. This represents a whopping 50% reduction. Researchers added that 150,000 of the preventions would occur in the US.
This is the first study to recommend optimal levels of vitamin D blood serum, which goes by the name, 1,25-hydroxyvitaminD3. The optimal levels correspond to 2,000 International Units (IU) per day of vitamin D3.
“The researchers underscore their call for prompt public health action to increase intake of vitamin D3 as an inexpensive tool for prevention of diseases that claim nearly one million lives each year world-wide.”
Well folks, there you have it (again), take vitamin D and live!
James C. Collier
READ MORE ACTING WHITE...
Technorati Tags: Acting White: Cancer Rates Pegged to Vitamin D Levels, Hypovitaminosis, Breast Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Moores Cancer Center, Acting White